Surya Uday Charitable Trust “is a fully Operational Non Profit Organization Founded by Mrs. Anuradha Sharma and Mr. Sachin Sharma in 2016. This trust is established in order to create a school for Children with Special Needs in Dharamshala and over time we wish to grow as an international organization and provide opportunities for mentally and Physically Challenged Children across the world who otherwise don’t have access to education..
Our Mission is to improve children with special needs lives by giving them the opportunity to learn and function on their own within their communities. Surya Uday Charitable Trust runs a School for Children with Special Needs in Yol, Dharamshala (India). The School Provides special education for special need children with NO AGE LIMIT. It runs in a five classrooms, One physiotherapy room, one speech therapy room with a kitchen, three toilets, one washroom, two store room and a beautiful playground. The Building of the School is on the main road in Banordu Road in Dharamshala very close to Yol.
- Teach children and young adults basic arithmetic, reading and writing skills that allow them to participate in the community and become self-sufficient.
- Vocational/Life Skills training
- Surya Uday Charitable trust skill-based education program teaches life skills including dressing, eating, basic hygiene and money handling. We teach vocational skills including counting money, ironing clothing, weaving baskets and making candles.
- Health-based education: As health is very important aspect both for special need children and their parents we conduct workshops both for Special enabled children and do counselling for parents at regular intervals.
JOURNEY BEHIND SURYA UDAY SPECIAL NEEDS SCHOOL CUM PRE-VOCATIONAL CENTRE
When Surya Uday was incorporated, we did a survey on field and covered children and old age people. On our survey we found lot of disabled children which were not going to school and they were lacking basic needs and they were totally neglected. Then we discussed this issue with one of official of SSA verbally and we found that as per the last survey done by Sarv Siksha Abhiyan (SSA) there are 4000 special students in district Kangra only. We also met lot of old age people who are living alone as their children are settled outside because of jobs. There is no one to take care of them
In case of special children government is doing its best to enrol most of students for their benefit but there are certain challenges like transportation and parents belong to poor class so they don’t have time to take them to school. This type of challenges are being faced by children. That’s why Surya Uday Charitable Trust made its vision to work for Special Need Children where we will give qualitative life and teach them skills according to their abilities and interests. This will enable them to be part of society and survive and lead a better life.
A STEP FORWARD
We have a School Premises on rent at Banordu Road, Yol, Dharamshala to start with. We have recruited the staff and have visited few families of special needs children and enrolment process started and school was inaugurated on June 12th 2017.
We will give the world class best facilities in our School. We will make our special need children so perfect in skills so that he/she will be able to do job or own business. We will be taking a land on lease from the government and we will make new building as per the guidelines specified by the RCI (Rehabilitation Council of India) and NIMH (National Institute of mentally Handicapped) and will start hostel also for Special Needs Person.
We will also start with Old age day care centre also in the near future.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES :
- To provide educational opportunities for children who are mentally and/or physically challenged children in rural India.
- Surya Uday implements this mission by funding the creation of projects to establish and operate schools in rural communities run by citizens who are native to a particular country.
- To provide local leadership and involvement fosters the growth of each child but also supports their families and builds community Surya Uday.
- To provide vocational training for students for the purpose of living
- To promote the welfare and ensure training and education of special children. At present youngest child in our school is 4 years and oldest is 51 years.
- To help and advise parents and friends of special children and to foster mutual help between them.To develop better understanding of Problems of mental challenged through home visits in the community.
- To promote sports and cultural activities among the disabled and take part in state and national meets/competition
- To provide intervention program to those children who are not admitted in the school but are registeredSurya Uday overall mission is to provide education to improve the lives of special children, families and communities .
- To Provide with the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to become self sufficient and active participants in their families and community.
FUNCTIONAL EDUCATION (SPECIAL EDUCATION)
- Teach ADL (Activity of daily living )/Life Skills including dressing, eating, basic hygiene and money handling.
- Teach children and young adults functional arithmetic, reading and writing skills that allow them to participate in the community and become self-sufficient.
- Vocational Training including counting money, ironing clothing, weaving baskets, Computer training, Cutting and tailoring, beautician and making candles.
- Health based education: As health is very important aspect both for special need children and their parents we conduct workshops both for Special enabled children and do counselling for parents at regular intervals.